855 – 867 Bushwick Avenue
Between Stanhope Street and Himrod Street
Block 3264, Lot 1
|Reformed Church of South Bushwick; Photo Credit: Laurel Albrecht, 2011|
Year Built: Main section completed 1853; Wings completed 1883
Building Type: Church
Original Owner: Reformed Church of South Bushwick
Proposed District: Bushwick Avenue Historic District
At the time of the Reformed Church of South Bushwick’s construction, the neighborhood was sparcely populated and it was one of the first institutional buildings in the area, located on a slight rise to overlook the surrounding land. With its grand steeple based on the designs of Wren and Gibbs, the Church would have dominated the landscape.
The land for the church was donated in November of 1851 by two of the first parishioners, Abraham and Andrew Stockholm and construction began in 1852 with the final dedication in February of 1853. The front facade features a classic portico with two delicately carved ionic columns below a tall tower composed of a square base and an octagonal belfry that terminates in an octagonal spire.
The street to the south of the church was named after the church’s first pastor, Reverend John Himrod, and the wings were added in 1883 under the fourth pastor, Reverend George Duryea Hulst.
|Spire of the Reformed Church; Photo Credit: Laurel Albrecht, 2011|
|Bushwick Dutch Reformed Church, Published in the Brooklyn Eagle, 1946. Credit: Brooklyn Public Library, Brooklyn Collection|
National Register of Historic Places Nomination Report for South Bushwick Reformed Protestant Dutch Church Complex