Between Bleecker and Menahan Streets
Block 3304, Lots 26-36
|945-965 Bushwick Ave (2011) Credit: Sarah Rosenblatt|
Year Built: 1889
Building Type: Rowhouse
Architect: John E. Dweyer
Original Owner: Jacob Murr
Proposed District: Bushwick Avenue Historic District
These brownstone rowhouses were built in 1889 for $4,000 each with tin roofs and wooden cornices. At the time of the Real Estate Record listing, no architect was listed and the builder had not been selected.
John F. Hylan, mayor of NYC from 1918 to 1925, lived at number 959 Bushwick, part of this row.
Many of the houses became 2-family in the 1960’s and ’70’s. Doctors worked and lived in numbers 957 and 951, and a dentist worked in number 949 in 1939. There was an undertaker’s office at number 953 in 1924.