Corner of Jefferson Street
Block 3162, Lot 1
|6 Stanwix Street (2011). Credit: Heather Hartshorn|
Year Built: 1920
Building Type: Industrial
Architects: Simeon B. Eisendrath & Bernhard Horwitz
Original Owner: Knitwear Manufacturing Company, Inc.
Proposed District: N/A
The building located at 6 Stanwix Street was built on the consolidated lots 1, 2, 3, and 4 of block 3162 as a factory for the Knitwear Manufacturing Company, Inc in 1920. President Nathan Klein and Treasurer Harry Glickman commissioned architectects Simeon B. Eisendrath and Bernhard Horwitz to build the 4-story factory. The building is made of brick, concrete, and terra cotta. In 1920, the first floor was occupied by 60 men and 35 women; the second, third, and fourth floors by 15 men and 60 women each.
This industrial building, aptly inscribed with the word “Knitwear,” remains rather true to its original facade materials of reinforced concrete with brick and terra-cotta tile ornament. Original metal windows are extant on the second and third floors.
- ^ Buildings Folder (Block 3162 Lot 1), Department of Buildings, Brooklyn, NY.
Sanborn Atlas (1907)
Sanborn Atlas (1933)